Sandhigata Vata vis-a-vis Osteoarthritis is a degenerative arthritis of joints mostly seen during old age. They can occur anywhere in the body but are commonly seen in Knee Joints, Hip joints and some joints of spine.
Osteoarthritis (OA) predominantly presents with Pain, Stiffness, Limitation in movements, Crepitus (sounds in joints), Swelling
Ayurveda has the best medicines and treatment options for Osteoarthritis. If these treatments can be started at the beginning of the symptoms, the degeneration can be prevented.
The best and effective Ayurveda treatment options for Sandhigata Vata (OA) are as below mentioned:
Abhyanga and Samvahana:
- Application of and Massage using Herbal oils / ghee or combination of both
Sweda: Fomentation: This is of many types –
- Churna Pinda Sweda (Selective-to be decided by doctor): Powder bolus fomentation – In earlier condition (acute)
- Patra Pinda Sweda: Leaf bolus fomentation – Analgesic, increases blood supply and soothes nerves, anti-inflammatory
- Shastika Shali Pinda Sweda: Rice bolus fomentation – Analgesic, Nourishing, Strengthening, anti-inflammatory
- Lavana Pinda Sweda: Salt bolus fomentation
- Application of medicinal Pastes
- Herbal poultices
Dhara / Parisheka:
- Pouring in stream or in sprinkles – Medicated decoctions, milk, oil etc
- Medicated oil pooling
- Medicine induced purgation
- Enemas with medicated oils, ghee, oils + ghee, decoctions, processed milk etc
Osteoarthritis needs a holistic approach. All the above said treatments are not needed at once but may be needed at different stages and each has a different purpose to attend.
The treatment choice will be done by a qualified Ayurveda doctor.
The treatment will have to be complemented by a proper planning of diet, lifestyle, exercise, rest and healing medicines (internal)
Experience Ayurveda for Osteoarthritis………..Experience relief like never before………..
Dr Raghuram Y.S.
MD(Ay), Ayurvedic Rheumatology
Consultant Ayurvedic Physician
Speciality: Joint and Spine care
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India